Following consultation between Council, local residences and businesses, Sydney Civil was contracted to perform a number of street improvements on Macleay Street (between Orwell and McDonald Streets). As well as making the area safer for pedestrians and calming traffic, the overall streetscape has been improved through the addition of plants and trees.
What works were done?
- Wider footpaths to provide more space for pedestrians
- Raised continuous footpath treatments (from Orwell Street to McDonald Street)
- Raised intersection (at Macleay Street and Greenknowe Avenue)
- Two in-lane bus stops (on the eastern and western sides of Macleay Street)
- New lighting, seating and street furniture
- More street trees and brand-new garden beds
Sydney Civil was committed to minimising the impact that works would have on the local community and ensuring the access to properties in Macleay Street was maintained. Although completion took a little longer than hoped due to challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic and adverse weather, the overall project and its launch have been a resounding success.
Read more about this project on the City of Sydney Council website.