City of Sydney Council contracted Sydney Civil to assist with transforming George Street in the Sydney CBD (between Bathurst Street and Rawson Place) into a more pedestrian-friendly area. Supported by all levels of government, this streetscape project will create approximately 9000 square metres of additional car-free space for the city centre.
What work is being done?
- Extended pedestrianised zones at the southern end of George Street (between Bathurst Street and Rawson Place)
- Improvements to open space on George Street (between Rawson Place and Pitt Street, Ultimo Road, Thomas Street and Hay Street)
- More than 9000 square metres of new space for pedestrians to enjoy
- Replacement of car lanes with granite footpaths
- Addition of new street trees, seating and lighting
- Space for outdoor dining
- Simpler intersections to reduce travel time
To minimise impact on the local community, Sydney Civil divided construction into various stages that saw it progress south – block by block – with access maintained to the affected area wherever possible.
Read more about this project on the City of Sydney Council website.