With Council prioritising walking and cycling in the city centre, work on the Bourke Street cycleway (from Devonshire to Phillip Streets) became important for showcasing this initiative and what it could mean for the community.
What works were done?
- 2-way separated asphalt cycleway and line marking
- Footpath construction to provide pedestrians with better amenity
- All demolition and electrical works
- Kern and gutter construction to separate cyclists from traffic and pedestrians
- Installation of traffic signals
- Extensive landscaping with buffer planting, new street trees and rain gardens